Dates to put on the calendar
· Oct 2 - 6 (Mon - Fri): China Exchange Students Visit Diamond
· Oct 4 (Wed): 6th Grade Back to School Night
· Oct 5 (Thu): 7th & 8th Grade Back to School Night
· Oct 9 (Mon): Columbus Day Holiday
· Oct 10 (Tues): Principal Meet and Greet, 7pm (see Latest News for more info)
· Oct 18 (Wed): DC 8th grade Parent Meeting - Auditorium
· Oct 19 (Thu): Diwali Holiday: Schools and Offices Open
· Oct 20 (Fri): Principal Coffee, 9am Diamond Cafeteria
· Nov 9 (Thu): LEF Trivia Bee at LHS
Announcements from Diamond PTA
Thank you to the following parents who helped Ms. Sharp during Picture Day: Dora Tamer, Sima Bilge, Carolyn Conte-Ollendorf, Sue Lim, Ruth Sherman, and Minna Tay.
Upcoming Diamond and LPS Events
Back to School Nights are this week! Parking is always a challenge at these events when so many parents will be at the school. Please consider walking or carpooling with a friend, be prepared to park on neighboring streets, and allow a little extra time to get to Diamond each evening.
Message from LPS Food Services
The manager of the Whitson’s food services is seeking a Deli Cook to join our dedicated kitchen staff! This person will assist in the preparation, cooking, and presentation of meals in our professional kitchen at Diamond.
* Prepare all deli meats and prepare sandwiches to order.
* Plan food production to coordinate with meal serving hours
* Memorize, record, and comprehend menu items, abbreviations, plate appearance, and portions
* Follow standard recipes and special diet orders
* Operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently
* Adhere to all sanitation and food production codes
* Clean and maintain kitchen equipment, utensils, and appliances
* Previous experience in cooking, culinary arts, or other related fields
* Knowledge of kitchen equipment and cooking techniques
* Strong attention to detail
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to work well in teams
* Previous school lunch experience a plus
* No nights or weekends. Monday through Frida y following the school calendar. 7:30 to 2pm Mon through Friday. Hourly wage based on experience.
Please call Kevin Silvia at 781-361-3406 for any information regarding this position.
2017/18 DI registration ends this week
Destination Imagination (aka LexDI) is a great way to help kids develop their creativity, as well as how to make their voice heard while listening to others in a team situation.
Registration for the 2017-18 DI season is open now through this coming Thursday. Click here to register.
For more information, please visit our website lexdi.org. Questions can be emailed to email to email@example.com.
DI is an international, team-based, creative challenge program for students in grades K - 12. Teams of 5 - 7 students work with two team Managers on one of six team-selected challenges. The interesting and challenging part is that only students can provide solutions! Any adult advice or help is considered "interference" and is against the program's rules. This is so that children are empowered to find a solution through their own creativity and collaboration
October Dyslexia Awareness Month: Film Screening and Discussion of HBO Documentary "Journey Into Dyslexia"
When: Wednesday, October 11
Time: 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Where: Science Lecture Hall, Lexington High School
Journey into Dyslexia (HBO, 2011) presents profiles of dyslexic students and adults who share their experiences of struggling in school and then succeeding in life. Academy-Award-winning filmmakers Alan and Susan Raymond examine the complexities of this differently structured brain and debunk the myths and misperceptions about dyslexia. This film reveals that many adult professionals who once struggled to learn in school consider their dyslexia a unique gift and the defining reason behind their success. Discussion to follow film screening. Co-sponsored by Dyslexia Parents Group of Lexington ( http://lexdyslexia.weebly .com) and LexSEPAC/SEPTA (lexsepta.org). For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: Due to some emotional testimonies, this film is appropriate for kids ages 10+.
22nd Annual Genesis Battlegreen Run - Spencer’s Sprinters
Sunday, November 5th
Lexington Newcomers Club and LexFUN! have joined forces to raise money for the Cure Sanfilippo Foundation on behalf of Lexington toddler, Spencer Smith. To register to run or walk, visit https://battlegreenrunfoundation.org and choose “Spencer’s Sprinters” when you Join an Existing Team
After you have completed registration, you can begin to raise funds for our team by joining at https://www.crowdrise.com/spencers-sprinters. Registered runners and walkers who create a Crowdrise profile and raise $100 or more by October 11th will receive a FREE long sleeve Spencer’s Sprinters official race t-shirt.
Youth in Philanthropy Program
Youth in Philanthropy (YIP) is an opportunity for students to become leaders in our community. Participants learn the importance of philanthropy and the needs that exist in our backyard. YIP students research local nonprofits and award $10,000 in grants. There are no fees or tuition to participate.
· Who: 7th and 8th graders who live or learn in Lexington
· Where: Lexington Community Center
· When: Wednesdays, Dec. 6 through Mar. 28, 7-8 PM
· How to Apply: Fill out a short form online by Nov. 13 – www.bit.ly/17-18yip
· Learn More: Visit www.yipmetrowest.org
Lexington Youth Basketball Association
School's back in, and LYBA is excited to begin a new season! We will have ratings nights for girls & boys in grades 4 through 8. Please note, your child must attend BOTH ratings nights unless otherwise noted. All tryouts will be held at Lexington High School and check in will take place outside the gym, starting 30 minutes before the rating session.
Register online here: http://assn.la/Reg/?r=3:149112
Also, stay tuned for announcement of Fall clinics to prepare for the season!
All 4th Grade Players: Wednesday, 9/27
Grade 4 Girls: 6-8pm
Grade 4 Boys: 6-8pm
Grades 5th-8th GIRLS: Tuesday, 9/26 and Monday, 10/2
Grade 5: 6:30-7:45pm
Grade 6: 6:30-7:45pm
Grade 7: 7:45-9:00pm
Grade 8: 7:45-9:00pm
Grades 5th-8th BOYS: Monday, 9/25 and Tuesday, 10/3
Grade 5: 7-8:15 pm
Grade 6: 7-8:15 pm
Grade 7: 8:15-9:30 pm
Grade 8: 8:15-9:30 pm